Friday, September 26, 2014

Selfish Sewing Week: Coco Tunic

More Selfish Sewing Week action here... a Coco tunic, care of Tilly and the Buttons!


A solid black, work appropriate top has been on my list since, oh, May. Me Made May, to be precise. While documenting my outfits for a month, I noticed that a gaping hole in my me-made wardrobe is solid colored separates, particularly in black and white. Fast forward several months and I am just getting around to filling that hole!


Not my flashiest or more exciting make, but one of my fastest, simplest and most likely to be worn...  I am particularly pumped to wear it with my ikat ponte Mabel skirt, which hasn't seen much action thus far because I didn't have anything to pair with it.

The fabric is black ponte, which is thick, soft and easy to sew. I bought it in a 5 yard cut from a vendor in Hong Kong recently for the equivalent of $10. Yessssss, so cheap! More on Hong Kong fabric shopping coming soon!


The pattern is Tilly's Coco pattern. I might be the last person on earth to make this (ok, maybe just the last sewing blogger on earth), but it is such a staple pattern that I couldn't resist. I made the absolute simplest version of Coco: tunic length, no collar or cuffs, no pockets. I even skipped the side slits, mostly because I forgot to mark them, serged right up the side seams, and was not about to unpick them. I used my twin needle on the neckline and hems and my serger for the rest of it. I cut a size slightly smaller than what I should have, but used 3/8 inch seams rather than the 5/8 inch called for and it worked out perfectly!


Coco: there will be more in my future!! Love the fit... snug in the right places and skimming in others, great neckline.